Wild Monkey Works, Skidone, and KidRobot present
The First Annual AFTERCON 2010
An artshow to benefit The Shel Dorf New Talent Encouragement Fund that will run concurrently with San Diego’s Comic-Con International 2010, July 22-24, from 8pm to midnight @ SUTURE GALLERY
655 10th Avenue, San Diego , CA 92101 (5 blocks from the SD Convention Center, cross streets are 10th and G)
Silent auction featuring original art by over 50 professional artists and special live artists from around the world, custom Munny’s and Dunny’s, skatedecks, and downtempo DJs. 21 and Up.
Literary Icon Ray Bradbury
Godfather of the graphic novel Phil Yeh
MAD Magazine artist Hermann Mejia
The Simpsons character designer Phil Ortiz
Feature Animation character designer Jeff Ranjo
Pulitzer Prize winning editorial cartoonist Steve Breen
Jon J Murakami
Jason T Reyes
Dave and Doreen Dotson
Bort Q. Rockefeller
Plus a Shel Dorf Gallery featuring photographs by Alan Light, vintage Comic-Con flyers and photos, and artwork by Shel Dorf!
Custom painted Vinyl Dolls presented by KidRobot!
Custom painted skate decks presented by McGill’s Skateshop!
To participate, please contact Matt Lorentz at Mattlorentz23@yahoo.com
Attention artists, you can choose one or several of the art categories below…
1. If you produce a comic strip, comic book/graphic novel, animation, editorial cartoons or comic related spot illustrations for publication, one piece of original art from these projects can be shown. We will accept all sizes of art in this category up to 11 inch x17 inch. Send these to Matt Lorentz.
2. Caricatures of the late, great Shel Dorf, who founded the Comic Con, are welcome too. Send all caricatures to Matt Lorentz.
3. We will have 30 some blank vinyl dolls (aka dunny’s and munny’s) donated for any artists interested in painting one. Let me know if you’d like to paint one too. We will ship these out to you by May 1st. Please email me your mailing address if you haven’t already at Mattlorentz23@yahoo.com Check out www.kidrobot.com to see what the vinyls look like.
Send all vinyls to Mark Richmond.
4. Skater Mike McGill is donating 20 blank skate decks to any artists that’d like to paint one. Paint either side. If you haven’t painted one before, just hit two coats of gesso before you paint or paint-pen it up! http://www.mcgillsskateshop.com/
Send all skatedecks to Matt Lorentz.
5. For anyone who creates 2 or more pieces of art in any of the above category or categories you can donate ONE extra piece of art up to 18×24 in size as long as it relates to the type of art you’d see at Comic-Con. Send to Matt Lorentz.
ALL ART MUST BE “READY TO HANG” (except for the vinyls and skatedecks) and arrive by July 1st, 2010.
The Shel Dorf New Talent Encouragement Fund was established by Shel’s brother Michael Dorf to provide financial assistance to selected high school and college students who have a passion to work in the comics and animation fields. These grants and scholarships aid in the purchase of art materials, DVDs, and literature to inspire students, as well as assist with their art education tuition. Shel was a mentor to many aspiring artists who later became professional artists. As a comics historian and writer, Shel helped elevate the perception of the comic and animation fields to their respected place within the arts, as well as creating what is now known as Comic-Con International. Shel helped build a strong community of creators who share his same passion for the arts and generosity towards young careers on the rise.
The Shel Dorf New Talent Encouragement Fund Board Members
Michael Dorf, Founder
Mike Towry, Chairman
Phil Yeh, Art Education Director/Art Review Board Member
Wardell Brown, Art Review Board Member
Matt Lorentz, Art Review Board Member/Event Fundraiser Organizer
Mark Richmond, Art Review Board Member/Event Fundraiser Organizer
Mark Richmond 619-488-7557 email@example.com
Matt Lorentz 619-995-1906 Mattlorentz23@yahoo.com
Please send artwork for the AfterCon’s silent auction and raffle items to Matt Lorentz at:
2412 Delaware St. #1
Huntington Beach, CA 92648
Please send painted vinyl dolls for the AfterCon’s silent auction to Mark Richmond at:
4419 Central Ave.
San Diego, CA 92116
Please send other fund-related correspondence to the following address
The Shel Dorf New Talent Encouragement Fund
PO Box 232497
San Diego, CA 92193